I know I am just 17 years old, but here are some things I’d like to tick off when I’m 25.
(I do hope you have retained your penchant for lists)
- Be comfortable in your own skin. Whether you’re fat or thin or whether you wear dresses or those worn baggy jeans that feel like home, I hope you are not flinching at the mirror any more.
- Find a place to call home and share it with someone. You’d hate living alone.
- Don’t stop doing embarrassing things in public. Don’t stop singing even if you hamper the hearing of all within vicinity.
- I have a feeling that you’d still love your friends enough to climb the mountains and untangle stars for them. I don’t have to tell you to continue cherishing them.
- I highly doubt I have to tell you this too, but write. Keep writing. It’s like breathing for you. Read, too.
- Find a way to support yourself if you haven’t already. You’ve always yearned to be independent.
- Make sure you never fall into a pit of self loathing again. It’s not easy to claw your way out.
- I hope you’ve figured out whether you prefer cats or dogs. Get one. Name it something ridiculously fabulous.
- Don’t settle for someone. You’ve already been told your standards are ridiculously high. You know you’ve made friendships that are so strong that you’ll never need a relationship.
- Don’t give in to peer pressure. You know within yourself that you don’t, or can’t believe in marriage.
- Travel. You’ve always wanted to explore the world.
- You may not have fulfilled your ambitions. That’s okay. Keep trying to change the world and people’s lives.
- I hope you’re finally “good enough” for yourself.
- Be happy. Wherever you are, whatever you’re doing. Please learn to be happy.